Watch the MERIT Center groundbreaking video.
The Vehicle Training Center expansion will include a hand gun shooting range, driving course, classrooms and offices, skid pad, driving training simulators, and public driving education
Driving Regional Growth
The Vehicle Training Center will serve Southwest Minnesota, East and Southern South Dakota, and Northwest Iowa.
The training will include the following:
- Driver’s training will be a state-of-the-art driving course with training simulators.
- The facility would train public safety personnel, commercial drivers, and others who seek to improve their driving skills like students/novice drivers and senior drivers.
- Operator training will also be available for motorcycle, ATV, and snowmobile operation.
- New and novice driver’s can get practical hands-on training in a safe environment.
- Advanced motorcycle and AARP driver safety program (55 Alive) completion receives a 10% discount on insurance for three years.
- This training brings people into Marshall from throughout Southwest Minnesota, Eastern South Dakota, and Northwest Iowa.
Vehicle Training Center: Capital Project Costs
- Land Acquisition $465,000
- Predesign $10,000
- Design $338,000
- Project Management $80,000
- Construction $3,917,00
- Furniture, Fixtures, & Equipment (FFE) $387,000
- TOTAL $5,197,000
Vehicle Training Center: Capital Project Revenue
- State of MN Bonding (2010) $1,000,000
- Local (Voter Approved Sales Taxes & Industrial Account for Land) $4,197,000
- TOTAL $5,197,000
Did You Know?
- Driving accidents are the primary cause of deaths and a substantial amount of injuries for first responders.
- Majority of existing training inadequate for high speed and realistic driving situations.
- 2008 MN highest teen driving death rate in country.
- Nationally over 60% of all teens will be involved in a crash within the first twelve months of getting her/her operator’s license.
- Combination of driving course, simulators and classroom training provides comprehensive training.